- Conduct research in order to enhance the services and consultancy to the community and the industry.
- Offer multi-disciplinary skills and expertise from a pool of experts.
- Offer postgraduate degrees and produce high quality postgraduates with readily available skills for the industry.
- Provide consultancy to government agencies and the industry.
- Conduct multi-disciplinary research and through international collaborations.
- Develop the resources and infrastructure for research, services and training.
- Generate income through services and training courses.
- Encourage local, national and international networks of collaborations among academicians and professionals.
- Consultancy and Services related to the environment such as river classification and pollution studies, river and lake basin studies, reservoir studies, industrial waste water treatment, coastal erosion control, land reclamation, underground water, solid waste and incineration as well as air pollution control.